Originally, the "disc" in "disc jockey" referred to shellac and later vinyl records, but nowadays DJ is used as an all-encompassing term to also describe persons who mix music from other recording media such as cassettes, CDs or digital audio files on a CDJ, controller, or even a laptop. DJs may adopt the title "DJ" in front of their real names, adopted pseudonyms, or stage names.
Monitor - A speaker in the DJ booth that allows the DJ to hear without the delays or echoes caused by space in a large room. MP3 – A lower quality digital format for music. Downloaded music often comes in MP3 format which you can write to your own CDs. 128 Kbps MP3 is the lowest quality you should use.
· Zedd Representing All-In-One Controllers. Zedd rocking the Kontrol S4 with two very CDJ-oriented friends, Afrojack and Aoki. (Photo credit: World Redeye) Zedd is one of a select group of touring DJs who use an all-in-one DJ controller as their performance rig.
· Auxiliary Sends. You’ll use this section a lot. It’s where a copy of the inputted signal can be sent to various effect units outside the mixing board.. For example, a guitar input might be sent through an aux send to a reverb unit, and the stereo output of the reverb unit returned back to the mixing desk into two other input channels, so you can combine the two signals together (known as ...
They often use multi-colored LEDs that help monitor how close you are to clipping. Mic input & talkover button. Most DJ mixers offer a mic input, which can come in handy even if you don’t have a microphone; it sounds funny, but in a pinch you can plug in your headphones and yell into the earpiece. It’s not pretty, but it gets the job done.
They tend to fall on the floor once in a while also, so it can be worth it to spend a little more money on good headphones. Laptop. Unlike gaming and video editing computers, DJ-ing laptops are not nearly as demanding against today’s specs. The only thing the computer needs to do basically is be able to run the DJ-ing software efficiently.
· "The number one thing they do is entertain! To be an effective DJ the most crucial element is to know how to engage an audience by mixing one track into the next. This is done by matching BPMs (beats per minute). There are additional things that you may see a DJ do while performing live. When you see them twisting knobs between songs, they are ...
A fog machine is a device that uses a superheated mixture of glycol and water to generate a supply of fog-like smoke. A DJ working at a nightclub might use one to enhance the lighting display behind and above the dancers. Movie set designers routinely use commercial-grade machines to create an ominous atmosphere during a nighttime scene. Every Halloween, amateur party planners pull one out in ...
· In Pitch Perfect, Anna Kendrick wants to be a DJ and she uses a pretty cool system. I would like to know what it is!
· I've been trying to get into mixing songs and I have software right now but it's not exactly what I'm looking for (it's a bit limited). I was wondering if the software that Becca uses in Pitch Perfect actually exists? My friend said that's what his brother has but I'm not sure if he meant that software specifically or if it was just something like that.